Kiss Your Users Goodbye: The Biggest Website Design Blunders
People use the Internet as an information source and they want to find what they need quickly. You have just a few seconds to impress a visitor enough to stop and read the information you have assembled for them, then a minute or two to satisfy them enough to make a purchase or hit the contact button. There are many common website design mistakes that chase off potential customers for your Edmonton business.
Content Above All Else
You might be tired of us telling you how important content is, but it's a point that really has to be driven home for your Edmonton business to have success with digital marketing. From the website design aspect however, it's more about the layout and organization of your content. Users scan your pages, especially those accessing your site from mobile devices. If their eyes don't catch what is important to them in a couple of seconds, they will go to another site. Some tips for great organization include:
- Update often so your information is never outdated
- Use specific page titles so your visitors know what's important on the page they’re visiting
- Break up the content with subheadings and bullet points
To see how effective these tips are, think of how you just accessed them. Did your eyes quickly scan through the writing to get to the subheading then read the bullets more closely?
Website Navigation: Think GPS
Did we get your attention? Navigation through your site is very important to keep visitors engaged and working towards your business goals. If they feel lost or that they need a GPS, you'll kiss them goodbye in a hurry. Make sure your website design doesn't alienate visitors with the following:
- Broken or outdated links that send your visitors to oblivion (or the dreaded 404 error page)
- Contact information that is difficult to find (go the extra mile and add clickable phone numbers or mapping services)
- No way to email you directly from the browser- if they have to leave the browser to contact you, you will lose them
- No navigation bars so clients can touch or click their way to the section they need
Again, think of how you browse the net and look for information. Would you stay and struggle through a site that needs a GPS to help you find your way, or do you run to sites that are easy to navigate?
Wait a Minute... or Two: Page Loading Times
If visitors have to wait more than four seconds for your pages to load, you can kiss them goodbye. Slow loading times are a huge traffic killer and one of the biggest blunders made in website design. It's great to have all the bells and whistles, gadgets and impressive media, but if it doesn't load fast your efforts will be wasted. Just a couple of tips:
- Avoid the use of excessive add-ons
- Don't use large image sizes or video files that take a long time to load
Your real-life application here is to picture yourself on the fly with mobile in hand, trying to find a business that offers something you need. How long will you wait for a site to load before clicking on the next one in the search results?
Worried you may be chasing off valuable visitors to your Edmonton business because of your web design? Contact our team at WSI in Edmonton for web design that will bring you more traffic and get quality leads. We'll put the coffee on.REQUEST YOUR FREE COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS
**The digital landscape is everchanging. Contact us to discuss current industry standards.
- Paid Search Still Dominates
- Customers Vs Consumers: Who Should You Really be Targeting?
- Is your SEO Rewarded by Refreshing Old Content?
- Proven Best Practices for Local Businesses to Succeed Online
- The Power of Hashtags and Strategic Placements
- 3 Signs That Your B2B Company Needs an SEO Strategy
- Geofencing: How to Use Location-Based Advertising to Your Advantage
- Should Your Business Be Using Google AdWords PPC Advertising?
- The Power of Buyer Personas
- How Professional Website Design & Development Services Will Grow Your Business
Need Help with Your Digital Marketing? Reach Out to Us!