5 Steps to Successfully Gaining a Competitive Advantage
A truth of running a business is that your competitors are always trying to steal your customers. As entrepreneurs, it’s vital to your business to maintain a competitive edge by taking advantage of technology and making your business stand out. To address these concerns, the latest entry in our 2015 Digital Marketing Video Series is called 5 Steps to Successfully Gaining a Competitive Advantage.
Step 1: Search Engine Visibility
Start by determining who your top online competitors are. Do this by doing a Google search using a phrase that best describes your business. Example, if you’re a plumber in Edmonton, search “Edmonton plumber”. The top links that come up are your competition. Take a look at their webpages. Next manage your website. You can do so by looking into tools over at Moz or Majestic. Or ask a WSI digital marketing expert to perform a WebScan analysis of your business.
Step 2: Top Performing PPC Ads (AdWords) in Google
Another strategy for gathering keywords and phrases is to look for competitor Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads. Continuing with the “Edmonton plumber” example, we can get a good idea of what companies are using digital marketing and thus which ones are worth looking into.
Step 3: Top Performing Keywords
Using information gathered in #1 and #2, form a list of keywords and phrases your competition is using. You have two options: you could try outranking your competition for keywords and phrases. Or if there seems to be a lot of action and history their keywords, it may be better to use different and less competitive keywords that will be easier to rank for, but deliver similar traffic.
Step 4: Best Performing Content
Now you need to create captivating content. Engage readers with interesting topics that are relatable.
Step 5: Social Media Engagement
Expand even further by going to your competitor’s social media profiles to see what kind of posts are working for them. You can become a mock-customer to get a first-hand experience at how they respond to customers.
When you’ve successfully gathered all the information, bring it back to your team so you can figure out ways to develop a more engaging social footprint than your competitors!GET YOUR FREE WEBSITE AUDIT
- Know Your Customer: Why Persona Development is Important for Achieving Success Online
- The Advantages of Blogging for Local SEO
- How Social Media Can Help Your eCommerce Store
- Website Design Mistakes to Avoid
- Grow Your Home Improvement Company with Internet Marketing
- Edmonton Agency Wins WMA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Web Development
- SEO Trends That Will Be Going Strong Beyond 2020
- Is Free Shipping Required to Run an Online Store?
- How Digital Marketing Expertise Lends to Building a Successful Website
- Should Your Business Invest in Online Ads if You are B2B?