Critical Components of a Functional Web Design
These days it would seem that anyone who can type on a keyboard can build a website and open for business but that couldn't be further from the truth. Without web design & development experience, your Edmonton business website will be lost among the more than one billion sites listed on the web. For a website to be successful, dozens of components work in synergy to create a site that is appealing, interactive and searchable.
You only get one chance to make a great first impression and considering the competition you face on the web, this section is critical to your success. If any one of these items is less than perfect, you risk losing potential customers:
- Site Structure and Navigation: The individual sections of your site, the order of your pages and the collection of links that lead users to each. A navigation menu is generally used to guide your readers.
- Page Design and Layout: Dictates how information and media will appear on your pages as well as scalability for mobile devices. A good layout draws the eye and allows information to be found easily.
- Logo and Brand Identity: The graphic, colours, fonts and other style elements that represent your business and remain constant throughout all of your communications.
- Images and Videos: All pictures, videos, animations and graphics used to liven up your site with care not to overwhelm.
- Content: Formatted for easy scanning, optimized for eyes and search engines and broken down into easily digestible keyword-rich sections.
- Graphic Design: While this involves the logo and other design elements, it also includes the overall look and feel of your site and the proper integration and saturation of design components.
These elements have to be created within your site to engage your potential customers and create interest in your product or service.
- Site Search: People will leave your site if they can't easily search and find what they need.
- Blog Platform: Blogs establish you as an expert in your field and encourage interaction from your readers.
- Image Rotation: Prevents readers from getting bored by presenting new images when they visit your site.
- Contact Forms, Downloadable Files and Newsletter Sign-Up: Makes exchanging information with your readers possible.
Nailing all of the components we've talked about so far won't matter if your site cannot be found by search engines.
- Web Host: A paid server that stores your site's files and transmits them to users when they search for your site.
- Domain Name: Your website's address on the internet.
- Content Management System: Allows the content on your website to be updated frequently, keeping it fresh and relevant.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Online Promotion: Determines how and where search engines will display your website and attracts visitors to your site.
As you can see, web design & development is an involved process if you want your Edmonton business to thrive on the Internet. WSI Edmonton has a team of professionals educated and practiced in all the components of web design & development and they are ready to help you succeed. Call 780-758-5800 or contact us to get started today.
- Pay-Per-Click Maintenance Checklist to Consistently Improve Your Results
- The Core Advantage Local Businesses Have Over Big Box Stores When It Comes to Selling Online
- Content Marketing Tips for Local SEO
- Top 10 Things to Know About Website Security
- A Guide to Internet Marketing for Seasonal Business
- How Long Does It Really Takes to Improve Your Local SEO?
- 5 Steps to Creating a Powerful “About Us” Page for Your eCommerce Store
- Should Your Brand Drive Your Website Design or Vice Versa?
- Why You Can Still Benefit from an eCommerce Website if You Have a Local Retail Shop
- 3 Big Reasons Why You Absolutely Need Content Marketing for Local SEO